Sunday, September 25, 2011


As I start this new adventure there is something that must be shared. On my mission I am learning many lessons and all very important, but there is one that stands above the rest.
I am learning how to love. 

But that might be a bit broad so let me narrow it down for you. In the Book of Mormon it states that "charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever." (Moroni 7:47) This is a better description of what I am learning. What I do every day, all day long revolves around people, some I know well, some are mere acquaintances, and some are complete strangers. I want to love each one as Christ would. But how do I do that? Well let me share what I have learned so far. 

Christ taught, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself(Matt. 22:37-39) It all starts with a love for God and as I love Him, it over flows into my love for others. 

I have also come to find that one of my greatest obstacles to loving is selfishness, caring for only myself. This sometimes can be a hard thing to overcome, but I have found something that really helps. It is called listening. And I don't mean just hearing the words people are saying. I mean looking at them and concentrating on them as the speak. Not thinking of what you are going to say in response or things you need to do. Not focusing on yourself as they speak but on them! It was a difficult thing at first and still can be but when I actually do it I find myself really loving the person. It is a amazing!

The last thing I have learned is best said by President Thomas S. Monson, "Charity is having patience with someone who has let us down. It is resisting the impulse to become offended easily. It is accepting weaknesses and shortcomings. It is accepting people as they truly are. It is looking beyond physical appearances to attributes that will not dim through time. It is resisting the impulse to categorize others." As I forgive, forgo judgment, and accept others it is much more easy to love them. 

I am not saying these are the perfect ways to love others, but they are what I have learned so far. Don't you worry I am sure I will learn more and share them with you. Gaining that "pure love of Christ" is one of the main goals of my mission and life. So don't be surprised if you see a few more drops in the bucket about love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment