Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Bless Everybody!

The other night I listened to a two-year old pray. It went like this:
"Okay let's say a prayer, bless mommy."
"Mommy"
"Bless daddy"
"Daddy"
"Bless meemaw"
"Meemaw"
"Bless papaw'
"Papaw'
"And bless everybody"
"Everybody"
"Say Amen."
"Amen!"

It was possibly one of the cutest things I have ever heard. This little girl was so sweet and sincere. As I think about this prayer I wonder if mine are like this little girl's. Am I simply saying my prayers to get them done or do I treat them as a wonderful experience where I get to talk to my Heavenly Father? Growing up I remember my mom teaching me how to pray. Begin by addressing God, express gratitude (thank you for my kitty), ask for things I need or blessings (bless mom and dad), seek forgiveness (sorry for fighting with Val), and close in the name of Jesus Christ. But what stands out even more than this simple formula for a prayer is the many times I would find my mother kneeling by her bed. As I would look at her I knew she was earnestly and sincerely praying for her family, for me. She was having a real conversation with God. I am so grateful for this example and will strive each time I pray to follow it.

"Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day."
(Alma 37:37)

Have you counseled with the Lord today?

No comments:

Post a Comment