Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Afflicted in Any Manner

One of my favorite stories in The Book of Mormon is when the resurrected Savior visits the people in the Americas. I have always wondered what it would be like to be there, to see Him, to listen to the teachings and to witness the miracles. I think of Christ's invitation to the people:

"Have ye any that are sick among you? Bring them hither. Have ye any that are lame, or blind, or halt, or maimed, or leprous, or that are withered, or that are deaf, or that are afflicted in any manner? Bring them hither and I will heal them, for I have compassion upon you; my bowels are filled with mercy."
(3 Nephi 17:7)

Would I have gone up? Probably not. I don't fall into any of those categories..... but maybe I do? There is that last one, "afflicted in any manner". What does that mean? Is it simply to cover the rest of the physical ailments or did it mean all affliction, including emotion, mental and spiritual?

Yesterday as I considered one of my nonphysical afflictions I realized that it had been healed. It happened because I went to my Savior. Even though He is not physically here, that offer of healing still is. I took it and He did as promised. All of our wounds, physical or not can be healed. But it required that we go to Him. We must take that action and believe that He can heal us. Only then we can find the solace that only Christ can give.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post because what you point out is so true. I wouldn't have thought I had a reason to go up, but when I think of it in the terms of emotional, mental, or spiritual I have had times in my life when I really did need my Savior to help me and heal me. We all can use the Saviors healing power at times in our lives.

    ReplyDelete