Thursday, October 6, 2011

It Is Better to Look Up


It seems that life carries themes and lately that theme has been prayer. I recently posted about making my prayers more sincere and just a few days later I heard a talk from General Conference that was just what I needed. There is a story that was told that I want to share.

"At the end of a particularly tiring day toward the end of my first week as a General Authority, my briefcase was overloaded and my mind was preoccupied with the question “How can I possibly do this?” I left the office of the Seventy and entered the elevator of the Church Administration Building. As the elevator descended, my head was down and I stared blankly at the floor.

The door opened and someone entered, but I didn’t look up. As the door closed, I heard someone ask, “What are you looking at down there?” I recognized that voice—it was President Thomas S. Monson.

I quickly looked up and responded, “Oh, nothing.”

But he had seen my subdued countenance and my heavy briefcase. He smiled and lovingly suggested, while pointing heavenward, “It is better to look up!”


The past week had been a difficult one. I had been asking, "How can I possibly do this?" The advice from President Monson is just what I needed. I had been looking down but "it is better to look up." I have not been "looking up" and calling upon God because I have not had the faith that such a simple thing could help me. I was like the children of Israel who looked beyond the mark and failed to be healed by simply looking at the brass serpent. I love the scripture that was quoted later in the talk, "Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend." (Mosiah 4:9) God does have all power and as I turn to Him and rely upon Him, He helps me. So I have been trying to look up and oh how wonderful it is. Yes I still face struggles but things are better. I know how I can do this, I can look up.

If you want to listen to the full talk just click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment